Re: [TowerTalk] Cellphone signal boosters

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cellphone signal boosters
From: Mark Spencer via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 11:12:59 -0700
Hi:

A former employer of mine used this type of system to enhance cellular coverage
inside steel clad buildings in rural areas.   I don't recall the brand name but
the system did seem to work.   I also recall there may have been some
constraints regarding the minimum spacing between the antennas ?  Sorry I
wasn't involved in the setup but the end result seemed good.

At our cottage in BC I used to use a LPDA style high gain antenna which
connected to the antenna port on a cellular modem to get internet access at the
cottage.   My wife and I had our phones on different carriers and one of them
would usually work for voice calls.

Later when the new roaming rules in Canada came into affect I found my iPhone
would simply roam onto another carriers base station and I didn't bother with
the external antenna or cellular modem after that.

I have since repurposed the LPDA for use on 927 and 1296 MHz (:

I hope this was of some interest.

73
Mark S
VE7AFZ