Re: [TowerTalk] Here we go again

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Here we go again
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 22:44:52 -0400
Well, not quite, It's 200' Above Average Terrain (HAT) according to the Federal Aviation Agency.who has control over tower height. Also Local ordinances can regulate for safety. There are a number of exceptions. In the previous zoning, amateur towers were exempt. No permit required or would be given.OTOH they have made a number of mistakes in tower height measurement above grade rather than (HAT) as measured by the FAA and they do have a subgroup for amateur radio towers. However they are essentially treating normal ham towers to the same highly restrictive permitting process as commercial. 25 to 65' requires approval. Over 65' requires review by the entire planning commission (Expensive up to $1000). As the entire township is heavily populated "rural", almost all towers exceed 65 feet. Mine (Grandfathered) are a 100' 45G with an array on top. The top antennas are at 130 feet. Well beyond the new setback rules. The antennas are now down for maintenance. My LM470 Two antennas reaching 85' when extended is only 25 feet from the property line, but the adjoining property is a buffer zone.

We do plan on having ARRL counsel at the meeting. Attached is a link to the proposed ordinance. They just rezoned a few years ago. http://homertownship.org/documents/HomerTwpZoningOrdinance2017-07hearingdraft.pdf Save and then do a search on Amateur Radio.

73, Roger (K8RI)