Re: [TowerTalk] Wire antenna in trees? (Patrick Greenlee) (Kelly Taylor)

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wire antenna in trees? (Patrick Greenlee) (Kelly Taylor) (Jim Brown)
From: Clay Autery <cautery@montac.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2017 19:01:33 -0500
I use hoist ropes over the tree limbs with plastic coated aircraft cable
leaders at the ends where the leaders will rest over the branches...
the leader attaches to a 4" dia. sheave pulley to keep from working the
wire as much.  The hoist rope travels down the tree trunk to a eye bolt
about 8 foot up as a guide and then is tied off to a 25 lb bag of lead
shot, triple bagged in black contractor bags and painted camo (tree
color) with UV resistant paint.  I have found that for 280-300 feet of
wire, 25 lbs at each corner holds the wire taught, but will raise off
the ground if the trees sway due to wind in such a way that it tries to
INCREASE the loop diameter.

Just my OCD approach...

Clay Autery, KY5G
MONTAC Enterprises