Re: [TowerTalk] Crappy LMR600

To: "'Tower Talk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crappy LMR600
From: "Mike & Becca Krzystyniak" <k9mk@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 15:04:59 -0500
Bill  etal,

I had some LMR-600-UF going to several UHF antennas on a rotating tower.
It showed signs of sun damage and the outer jacket crinkle cracked on me
too.
The salesman warned me upfront it might not make 10 years.

But even cracked with some exposure to the shield, the integrity of the coax
(loss & Z) was still in spec.
IIRC, I actually found a footnote on the LMR site that UF was not intended
for outdoors, but it will survive for a number of years.

Bill, YMMV but the Jafa-Tek specs are not the same as LMR-xxx.
But for jumpers it's probably in that bucket called diminishing returns.

I have also used SuperFlex in rotor loops but over time I had one crack
along the annular shield rings, opening the shield.
Not sure if that was a one off, or something attributable to the SuperFlex
construction.
At the time I decided to replaced them all but I am reconsidering SF vs. UF.

Mike K9MK