Re: [TowerTalk] getting the ufer ground effect with a burried painted se

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] getting the ufer ground effect with a burried painted section
From: Dick Blumenstein <rcblumen@centurylink.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2017 14:43:06 -0400
Hi Jeff-

Whether it screws up the ufer ground, I really don't know.

I just poured a 5'x5'x8.5' hole and was advised to not paint the rebar.  However, because of the requirements of the engineering drawings brought my top rebar within 1 inch of the top surface of the concrete, I did paint the top 3 horizontal rebar hoops with galvanizing "compound". As told by others to me at the time, I also connected 20' of solid #4 cu wire suspended in the concrete. It was connected to the rebar cage at one point as well as to all suspended anchor bolts to help improve the ufer ground. I made sure that the free end of the copper wire did not touch the bottom of the hole.

BTW- There are two types of galvanized "paint" that Rustoleum sells.  The plain lower zinc content that is usually stocked in Lowes or Home Depot and then there is this "High Performance Galvanizing Compound" that you can buy from Lowes but has to be ordered in quantities of 6.  I opted for the latter with its much heavier content of zinc, which I primarily used to recoat the used tower and base I bought (as well as the first few inches of the top of my rebar cage.

<https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rust-Oleum-High-Performance-Cold-Galvanizing-Compound-Rust-Resistant-Enamel-Spray-Paint-Actual-Net-Contents-20-oz/3728409>

Based on feedback I've received, I plan on putting in about 11 @ 8' ground rods in a pattern around the tower and leading to the house power and shack ground rods, with #2AWG stranded cu wire thermite welded at each junction to help dissipate any lightning strikes. Coming off each of the 3 tower legs, I am putting on 3" wide copper strips gently arcing down to the nearest ground rod by each tower leg.

Dick, K0CAT