Re: [TowerTalk] Your experience with rope capstan hoists or winches

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>, Dick Green WC1M <wc1m73@gmail.com>, 'Charles Morrison' <junkcmp@gmail.com>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Your experience with rope capstan hoists or winches
From: Wayne Kline <w3ea@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 03:09:28 +0000
Hi Rick.

  I can't speak for other model of Capstan winches, But as for the AB Chance
308117  3000 lb winch.

It  rate of  pull is 12 ft. a min.   with 4 to 5 wraps of your pull rope on the
drum and your ability to control  the  lift is simple and as for EYS on the
Lift  you in control plan and simple .

 I have been at the  manual pull over head and bottom places pulleys,  I have
been with lawn tractors, pick up trucks and even front end loaders as the mules.

IMO   those  methods were far more apt of  a catastrophe  then a power winch  .
 one foot on the switch   and one hand guiding the pull rope.

After a few uses the rope hand becomes like  you foot on a gas pedal.  and a
fantastic use is finial positioning. where you raise ABOVE attachment point

and let up on tension on the pull rope and lower  the tower section, the out
rigger, the Ring Rotor, The mast or the Antenna by fractions of a inch. You can
not do that with  the other methods .

IMO     Wayne W3EA