Re: [TowerTalk] 40M rotary dipole

To: Dave Sublette <k4to@arrl.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 40M rotary dipole
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 08:33:43 -0700
Newark or Mouser often have ok prices for the "FT-240-31" large toroid core. Chris KF7P.com has had them on sale at times. I've bought from all three.

http://www.newark.com/fair-rite/2631803802/ferrite-core-cylindrical-119ohm/dp/43K4703?ost=2631803802&iscrfnonsku=false&ddkey=http%3Aen-US%2FElement14_US%2Fsearch

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Fair-Rite/2631803802/?qs=%2fha2pyFadujg9vFABS5CZWkClXV4tmC2yGMdLN2jsic%3d

An interesting trade-off is the price performance of the "big clamp on" vs a stack of the FT-240-31's. There is a lot of ferrite in the clamp on and it is very convenient for existing cables but needs securely closed tight with tie wraps or Scotch 33 for good performance.

A 1/2" wide cloth/glass tape is very handy to tie the FT-240-31 stacks together before winding the coax. RG142 TFE coax can be wound fairly tight on a stack and easily handles QRO power.

Grant KZ1W