Re: [TowerTalk] 40M rotary dipole

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 40M rotary dipole
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 16:59:06 -0700
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 16:42:42 -0500
From: Stan Stockton <wa5rtg@gmail.com>
To: Dave Sublette <k4to@arrl.net>
Cc: Dan Maguire via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>

<A question regarding chokes for K9YC.

<Let's assume a coax going to an antenna is buried to the tower, the shield is
grounded with a short length at the base, the coax is inside the tower and the shield
is electrically bonded to the top of the tower and anything else that would be
considered good <practice for a good RF and lightning ground.

<How is common mode noise making its way to the feed point and back to the
receiver if you have something less than multiple cores at the feed point of the
antenna?

<Stan, K5GO

###  CM  goes up the tower faces to the top of the tower, then to the
ant...then back down the center conductor.

Right -- sort of.  It's not a DC circuit, it's RF, so the tower and coax shield are parallel conductors that act as part of the antenna.  If there's an external field, the tower/coax will be excited as an RX antenna, current couples to the antenna if no choke.  All of this, of course, is very sensitive to frequency/wavelength.

##  Easiest way to see if the CM  choke is  doing the job, or to compare  no
choke, lousy choke, good choke,
is to use a clamp on RF ammeter, like the deluxe version that MFJ sells.
MFJ-854.   Measure it at the base of the tower,
 Sorry, that's not valid, because like any conductor carrying RF current, the current varies along the length of the conductor depending on its boundary conditions ( the mathematical term for its terminations).  These boundary conditions are sort of obvious -- current is forced to near zero at the end of an unconnected wire and at a choke with very high Z. But just because the current is near zero at the top doesn't mean it's near zero anywhere else along the length, because it's an ANTENNA!   SO -- a current measurement at the tower base does NOT tell us about current at the top next to the choke.

How much noise drops depends a lot on how much noise you have. :) If you don't have much, a choke won't do much. :)

Another important function of a choke is to minimize coupling between antennas in a multi-transmitter setup, where the coupling mechanism is radiation from one coax and reception on another, or reception by another RX antenna.  Multiple chokes on a a vertical run of coax to a high dipole can act as "egg insulators" to prevent that coax from becoming a parasitic element for a nearby vertical antenna.

The fundamental principle here is that depending on lots of variables, it's entirely possible for various antennas and feedlines in any antenna farm to "see" each other and vary each other's patterns. These effects can be a little or a bit more. They're rarely large.

Example -- I have a 120 ft tower holding a SteppIR and a long 2M Yagi, and it's about 200 ft from a 160M Tee vertical that has a 100 ft vertical section. When I first installed the tower, both NI6T and N6BV, separately, told me I should look for interaction between the tower and the Tee. Putting the dimensions in NEC, I found that the tower acted as a passive reflector for the Tee, giving me 2-3 dB of gain to VK/ZL. I also rigged a pair of sloping verticals to the east and west of the tower, insulated from the tower and fed from their bases against elevated radials. The tower acts as a passive reflector, and gives me about 2dB in th0 direction of whichever of the two sloping wires I feed.  AND -- if I ground the Tee, it acts as a passive reflector for the two sloping wires, rotating their patterns about 40 degrees northward, the east wire to EU, the west wire to JA. On the air results clearly confirm the accuracy of the careful models -- as I switch between the three antennas, i can clearly hear the directivity.

ANY gain on 160 is hard to come by, so when it comes almost for free simply by recognizing it and switching it in and out, it's hard to turn down. :)

73, Jim K9YC