Re: [TowerTalk] 40M rotary dipole

To: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 40M rotary dipole
From: Dave Sublette <k4to@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 06:35:28 -0400
This thread has been very educational for me…. thanks to all who are
contributing.  To my credit, I realized that the rf choke acts to isolate the
dipole from the tower leg as I lay in bed last night.  Of course it is between
the bonding point at the top of the tower and the connection to the dipole.
I’m old and slow and make lots of mistakes, but I get it … eventually.

I am going to put the dipole up without RF choke first.  Later, I will add the
choke.  I haven’t thought about how to go about measuring noise differences,
but as I type this, it seems that my Softrock HF Ensemble II might be a very
good way to measure and document differences in base noise between the two
methods of connection.

Right now, I have all I can handle, finishing the dipole, planning how to put
it up, finishing the job of erecting the tower (30 more feet and one guy ring
to go).  In addition I am computer modeling (with some wonderful help from
several sources) the Moxon 2 element 40M yagi, both electrically and
mechanically.

There aren’t enough hours in the day for all the fun I am having!

73,

Dave, K4TO