Re: [TowerTalk] 40M rotary dipole

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 40M rotary dipole
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 13:52:10 -0700
On 9/20/17 10:35 PM, Stan Stockton wrote:
I am curious.  The coax/tower (we'll call it Antenna 1) is isolated from
Antenna 2 (the real antenna) with a choke.

Antenna 1 is still radiating the noise without, let's say, direct connection to
Antenna 2.

So there is no propagation such that Antenna 2 picks up the noise radiated from
Antenna 1, end of which is at most a few inches away?

the dipole is symmetric with respect to the noise source. so a point noise source on the tower couples equally to the two legs of dipole, and therefore cancels out.

Interestingly, it's the "middle" of the dipole that's closest to your source, and that's usually the "most symmetric" part of the antenna. Asymmetries tend to be at the ends of the dipole (different height, surrounding, etc.)