Re: [TowerTalk] 40M rotary dipole and CM current

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 40M rotary dipole and CM current
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2017 14:09:57 -0700
On 9/22/2017 5:31 AM, Wes Stewart wrote:
This thread started with a question about whether to just coil up some coax or to wind a balun at the feed point to "keep RF off the coax." This sounded like a valid transmitting concern to me.
It IS a valid concern. Coiling some coax at the feedpoint IS a common mode choke. Winding a "balun" at the feedpoint IS a common mode choke.

It then morphed into something else completely when the salesmen for CM chokes hijacked it.

My contribution to the thread was to correct misconceptions about how these methods work (or don't work).  hardly  'hijacking, and I don't sell anything, I'm simply giving away what I've learned.

The fundamental principle of common mode chokes to "keep RF off the coax " is that pure inductance (that is, just winding turns of coax) is a lousy solution because L can resonate with the rest of the feedline in the common mode circuit at frequencies where that feedline is capacitive. This makes its effectiveness strongly dependent on feedline length and geometry.

Ferrite chokes work NOT by virtue of their inductive reactance, but by virtue of that inductive reactance forming a low-Q resonance at frequencies of interest with the parasitic capacitance of the choke, resulting in a high resistive Z in the common mode circuit. The resistance in the circuit is coupled from the ferrite core, and appears in series with the inductance, and that series combination is in parallel with the capacitance. In the octave or so around resonance, the circuit devolves to parallel RLC. That "coil of coax" (with no ferrite core) is a high Q inductor, with self-resonance far above the frequency where it is used.

All of this is discussed in the two links I posted much earlier in this thread. I read your stuff, find it useful, and have said so on many occasions. Maybe you can take the time to read mine!

73, Jim K9YC