Re: [TowerTalk] turnbuckle safety wires

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] turnbuckle safety wires
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2017 16:36:14 -0700
There is a simple analogy to consider when thinking about turnbuckles loosening or not. Their threads are same 60 degree form and helix angles as common nuts and bolts. So if you think nylocks, lockwashers, Nordlocks, aviation nuts, or etc. are never needed then there is no need to secure turnbuckles against unscrewing. We all know that is not the case. While the helix angle on these threads is nominally self locking, whether it locks for a turnbuckle (or any bolt) depends on surface finishes, lubrication, vibration, contamination, tension cycling, torque from the guy twist, temperature cycling, etc, same as other fasteners. Hot dip galvanizing is a known thread lubricant, the bolt torque tables show fewer ft-lbs to tighten bolts to specified stress/tension. My tower installer applied additional lubricant. At the specified torque values for structural bolts, the fastener is far less likely to loosen. That isn't the static load in a turnbuckle which is exposed to many of the conditions that cause common fasteners to loosen.

Grant KZ1W