Re: [TowerTalk] turnbuckle safety wires

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] turnbuckle safety wires
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2017 08:05:28 -0500
At one time a 1610 ft (490 meter) TV tower at Caprock NM was the tallest manmade structure on the planet. The option to put on de-icing capability was not taken as it was decided (hoped) there would not be enough icing to be a threat. When I was a Senior in High school that was the only TV we could get.  An ice storm in the winter of 1960-61 brought the tower down.  The ice storm took down 20 miles of overhead power distribution poles leaving the town of Tatum NM a national disaster area with truck mounted army generators brought in to preserve food in the stores.  Gas was pumped by hand from underground tanks into 5 gal cans to fuel cars. School was closed until utility power restored (new poles installed for 20 miles.)

Moral of the story...  Cutting corners is not always economical

Patrick        NJ5G