Re: [TowerTalk] Fan dipole construction methods

To: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fan dipole construction methods
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2017 07:58:43 -0700
I built a pair of 80/40/20 fans set at 90 deg to each other and was quite happy with them at 65'. Good F/S. I used EZNEC for the design and it was close, but for the modeling be sure to follow the advice of Cebik re modeling repeated in the example by Dan at ac6la.com As built, mine was close enough to the modeling.

For the center insulator I used a 4 x 12 x 3/8" acrylic so the centers were separated by 5". The ends were separated by 30" with some square 3/8" pvc rod. Parachute cord was used to tie the ends of each dipoles insulator to the 80m end insulator. This gets to be a real confusing collection of wire and cord so they get wound up when taken down on a 8" diameter 4' long piece of concrete form tube.

After being replaced with other antennas at my QTH, the 20m element was removed and one tuned for cw and the other ssb and they are now club Field Day 80/40 antennas. Rolled on the tubes, they have gone up and down for several FD's.

Grant KZ1W