Re: [TowerTalk] weatherproofing connectors visited.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] weatherproofing connectors visited.
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2017 12:04:46 -0700
Not much sticks to TFE.

The Andrews/Heliax waterproofing kits are the best IMO. The sticky sealant tape may be tight enough to prevent wicking on TFE coax, especially if the 2" wide electrical tape is used to compress it as per instructions. It works great on Heliax and DIN connectors so it conforms well.

http://www.commscope.com/catalog/doc/pdf/2004/Weatherproofing_Kit_for_Connectors_and_Antennas.pdf

Another advice from Andrew, preheat the connectors prior to placing the adhesive lined heat shrink. Particularly important on big Heliax connectors but I do it on PL259's and the adhesive really sticks then to the body.

Rather than invent marginal waterproofing, why not use what is proven in many thousands of commercial installations? Last I bought the kits were about $17 and will do a dozen UHF connections. on ebay for $12 - $20.

Grant KZ1W