Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: (80 Meter yagi question) Cu <=> Ag

To: Towertalk Reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: (80 Meter yagi question) Cu <=> Ag
From: Bob K6UJ <k6uj@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 19:21:46 +0000 (UTC)
tubing and applying the silver plate stuff but now think it would be better to
use aluminum tubing.
73,BobK6UJ

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Friday, October 13, 2017, 11:24 AM, Howard Hoyt <hhoyt@mebtel.net> wrote:

Hi Bob,

Two data points:

1) When I worked at a radio astronomy lab as a college student the
engineers there said silver plating the machined copper cavities ruined
their performance which I didn't understand at the time.

2) The broadcast equipment I maintain uses aluminum straps and tank
components in the plate cavities and running at quite high powers the
straps themselves seem to run cool, except for where they are tied to
the anodes of the 4CXxxxxx tubes.  I believe they are intended to help
pull heat away from the anode seal in that usage.

If that study is to be believed, perhaps the silver-plating thing in ham
equipment is a vestige of earlier manufacturing beliefs and techniques,
plus corroded copper is difficult to clean and looks like hell?  Based
on the study, lacquered polished copper or over-sized aluminum would
appear to be the winner for coil construction.

Howie - WA4PSC