Re: [TowerTalk] FW: Tower Grounds

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FW: Tower Grounds
From: Wes Stewart <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2017 14:52:04 -0700
On 10/17/2017 7:31 AM, jimlux wrote:

Why not just a lug on one of the bolts? Good clamping force, good electrical connection, etc.  If you've already bolted the base to the rods, is there enough to put a lug and a second nut on top?

This brings up an interesting point, why is everybody talking about making "clamps" of some sort to clamp onto a structure which has bolted joints?  I can see needing a clamp when you're grounding a long length of hardline that you don't want to break for a connector.  And I've seen clamps on things like chain link fence posts (typically so that the gate is bonded to the rest of the fence - the fence posts are set in concrete in the soil, so they *are* a grounding electrode)
On the base of my (admittedly short---45ft) Rohn 45 tower I replaced the three 5/16 bolts with stainless steel and attached copper lugs to them with double nuts, suitably lubed.  These are not difficult to remove, indicating to me that the shear is primarily carried by the larger bolts.

Wes  N7WS