Re: [TowerTalk] Cob Web Antenna

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cob Web Antenna
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2017 14:13:34 -0400

> Has anyone actually modeled a Cob Web antenna?

It's effective a "halo" or "squalo" on each band.  It will generally be
down a dB or so compared to a dipole but without the significant nulls
off the end like a dipole.

Feed point impedance will be in the 12 Ohm range (again, like the halo)
so the Cobbweb uses either a 1:4 (not 4:1) "balun" or the user can use
folded dipoles for the elements - although that may have a problem with
shorted stubs (the 20 meter element) on 10 meters.

> I was wondering how it compares to a dipole.

In practice since the Cobwebb installs on a single mast, one may be
able to get it higher and in the clear compared to a wire dipole.
I've done something similar for several years with an N6BT Q51 (a
band switched center loaded dipole for 20-10 meters).

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV