Re: [TowerTalk] VNA

To: Neal Sulmeyer <Neal@k4ea.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] VNA
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 19:57:40 -0700
I have a collection, acquired over time and need and economics. First a noise bridge, then a couple of Auteks. (yikes, how old am I?) Then the MFJ259, useful, but sold it since it overloaded with AM. I had direct line of sight to 50kw 1MHz BCB 3 miles at my former QTH. Not good, 1 volt on the power lines. Upgraded to a 4170, slight overload from the BCB but useful results and also much more capability. Still have it, has a good GUI for TDR, but not self powered and needs a PC. Then added a VNWA for two port measurements and it rarely leaves my workbench. Tuned/checked lots of filters. Upgraded from v2 to v3 of VNWA. A lab grade instrument at 10% of the cost. Then for going on a DXpedition I bought a AA54, a solid instrument and rugged, although I had to tweak the case to allow a PL to seat fully on the SO. The new model and QST review look very nice. Then added a SARK for portability, the new ucode is a good improvement but it is a bit fragile at the connector. Does everything a single port analyzer can do and is super portable but is tiny, so human factors might be an issue for some hams. I took both SARK and AA54 on my last DXpeditions. Used both. Left one behind when another station's analyzer got fried - easy to do in a multi QRO transmitter environment. Everybody needs to QRT when measuring an antenna nearby.

Size, battery power, rugged, & no PC needed are first priorities for me in field antenna work. For bench work, components, filters, etc. the VNWA is essential. Portables with a computer connection and good TDR plot are a plus for checking feedlines before or after on the tower, the small screens don't hack it.

Also be aware that AFAIK, ALL mentioned can be overloaded and in one case we could only get consistent data transmitting at 5w with a K3 & SWR meter for some big antennas. The ham analyzers don't have the front ends or processing technologies of an Agilent or a $80k Rhode and Schwarz (drool).

So that is my history and uses of them. Several great choices for whatever your needs. Not owned is the YouKits FG-01, but have used others and it works fine.

Grant KZ1W