Re: [TowerTalk] VNA

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] VNA
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2017 05:16:55 -0700
On 10/30/17 10:07 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
On 10/30/2017 9:02 PM, Marv Shelton wrote:
I remember a VNA review in QST some time ago.

The VNWA 3e was due to get a rave review in that series, but a US vendor threatened a patent issue, and it was killed.

BTW -- the VNWA 3e is powered via USB from its host computer. Most other VNAs lack this capability. It makes it far easier to use in the field. Some users are running it a Windoze tablet.

without getting into what's good/bad because I've not looked at it in any detail, there's a whole crop of newer small VNAs these days

http://pocketvna.com/ - about $400
https://www.sdr-kits.net/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=70 - VNWA 3EC (DG8SAQ) - about $600
https://www.arraysolutions.com/vna-2180 - $1000

There's also mention of a miniVNA, but it doesn't seem to be available any more.

The TAPR/TenTec and N2PK appear to be no longer readily available as assembled units - they're both >10 years old, and probably need parts that no longer are available