Re: [TowerTalk] Wind survival + load ratings... vs,

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wind survival + load ratings... vs,
From: Wes Stewart <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2017 13:08:03 -0700
I have tried to follow this thread with some interest.  My experience with mechanical design has been limited to using Leeson's (W6QHS) spreadsheets.  Also, I tend to use very modest antennas that I can handle by myself, installed on a rather short heavy duty tower. (~50 foot Rohn 45).

That said, I was involved in helping a friend install a Steppir DB42 on his foldover tower.  From what I saw, it would be impossible to account for all of the stuff mounted on this antenna, using Leeson's spreadsheets.  My goodness, the aerodynamic drag from the cables, plates, connectors, boxes, clamps, support trusses and the tilt plate, over and above the boom and elements, was frightening to me.

I don't recall reading about these antennas in this thread.  Has anyone tried to calculate wind survival for these (not that I would ever want to buy one).

Wes  N7WS