Re: [TowerTalk] Expansion joint in conduit

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Expansion joint in conduit
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 07:11:02 -0600
Thermally induced expansion and contraction is not the only effect to consider.  Expansive soil will expand and contract with variations in soil moisture independent of temperature. I am currently in the process of repairing a 1 1/2 inch  PVC water line that began leaking at a Tee fitting originally installed sometime before the 90's. Along came a significant (worst since records were kept before statehood) drought and soil movement in turn moved/pulled on the pipe.  The Tee, of course, presented significant resistance to movement along the direction of the "main line." The line was about 3 ft or a little more below the surface.  Code depth here to avoid freezing is 18 inches.  At a depth of 3 ft temperature changes are moderated.

The quoted statement below is true, sometimes.  Some areas have expansive soils that introduce significant motion to anything "planted" in the ground, i.e. foundations.  There is an entire industry in this part of the country for foundation repair due to expansive soil not being properly taken into account when the foundation was designed.

To avoid a repeat of my current waterline repair I am building in a rectangular "loop" that will allow significant soil motion without stressing a fitting. Unfortunately that remedy is not particularly amenable to conduit where cables may need to be added or removed.

Patrick