Re: [TowerTalk] Help with Force 12 C3S 10-Meter Adjustments

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Help with Force 12 C3S 10-Meter Adjustments
From: Bob Richards <rwrcon@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 20:34:27 -0800

On 11/12/2017 2:22 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
On 11/12/2017 1:49 PM, Bob K6UJ wrote:
What I did was make sure
the driver tube was well lubed with Penetrox and slid it out in 1/2 " increments tillit got down where it was good down in the CW end of the band

Of course. But the tricky part is being able to rig the antenna so that SWR can be measured at sufficient height to remove ground influence on the tuning AND the so that it can easily lower it for adjustments. Or access the adjustments from a tall A-frame ladder while it's in the air. While adjusting a very different 4-el for 10M, I found that the frequency of lowest SWR went DOWN as I raised the antenna, contrary to what usually happens with a simpler antenna like a dipole.

A rigging method we often use for portable operations like CQP, 7QP, and FD uses the 4-ft 2-in o.d. surplus military mast sections in combination with a tripod base fitting. If the "legs" are two elements tall, additional mast sections can be pushed up through the center of the tripod fitting. We use this to get a C3SS up 20-25 ft. We first learned of this method from a talk that K7JA did at Visalia several years ago.

73, Jim K9YC