Re: [TowerTalk] Alternate method of setting guy tension

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Alternate method of setting guy tension
From: n8de@thepoint.net
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2017 23:07:30 -0500
Please explain how you get the fish scale into that 1/2" space?
73
Don
N8DE

Quoting John Fickes <kc0bmf@gmail.com>:

Jeff
  First my disclaimer, I've used this method while building barb wire fence
to test the tension so as to get all the wires close to the same tension
and I don't know why it wouldn't work for what you are doing, BUT I don't
guarantee.

   1 Take a board  42" long
   2 Drive 2 nails in the board 40" apart but don't seat the nails, leave
them up a bit
   3 Draw a straight line between the nails
   4 Drive another nail 1/2" below the line that you drew and in the center
of the first 2 nails
   5 Rest the cable on the first 2 nails that are 40" apart and using a set
of fish scales hook the cable and pull the cable till it touches the 3rd
nail and read your fish scales.
   6 Take the reading of your fish scales and multiply by 20
So for example if you pull the wire back and when it touches the middle
nail the scales read 10# multiply by 20 = 200#

I've used this method as I said and it works great for fence. Good Luck

                         73 John W0JW