Re: [TowerTalk] Relay for sloper element

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Relay for sloper element
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 13:46:33 -0500

I want to be able to switch a piece of #14 house wire onto the far
end of a sloper wire I have for 75 M phone so I can operate lower in
the band. I'm thinking of adding a relay in a weather-resistant box
at the sloper's end insulator and continue with the extension wire
beyond that.
The voltage at the end of the sloping wire is probably too high for
the contact to coil "withstand" of any reasonable 12V relay.  You
would probably be better served to use a relay to switch a coil in
series with the sloping wire at the feed point on your tower.  Most
any "automotive" or other open frame relay should work in that
application.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV