Re: [TowerTalk] Relay for sloper element

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Relay for sloper element
From: n8de@thepoint.net
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 14:40:03 -0500
Why not use the coax to carry switching voltage?

0v for condition 1
+12v for condition 2
-12v for condition 3
and with some ingenuity (designed by ME in 1970's)
12v AC for condition 4
which allows FOUR bands with one wire antenna.

73
Don
N8DE

Quoting Gene Smar <ersmar@verizon.net>:

Jim:

     Thanks for your suggestion.  If I use a DPDT center-off switch on the
DC supply in the shack and steering diodes in the relay box at the tower
top, I can use two relays to short out part or all of the loading coil at
the feedpoint.  That way I'd end up with 60M (coil shorted), 75 M (partial
coil) and 80 M (full coil) on the same wire.

     I now recall seeing this feedpoint loading technique for a half-sloper
wire (the more correct term) like mine in QST a number of years ago.  I
hadn't thought of using a relay to make the wire multi-banded.

     Using a bias-T in this configuration would short the positive DC bus to
ground in one switch position, so I guess that's out.  Carrying the DC to
the tower top in a two-conductor-plus-shield cable would isolate the
positive and negative leads from ground at the tower top, as the relay coils
would not be grounded in any configuration.

     Regarding the paralleling of the DPST relay contacts, I'll probably do
that.  In this configuration (loading coil at the feed) the feed is the
high-current point and having parallel contacts will minimize the contact
resistance through which this current must flow.  Also, as you pointed out,
it provides a bit of redundancy.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F