Re: [TowerTalk] guage of wire for 500 watt antenna?

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] guage of wire for 500 watt antenna?
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2017 17:42:40 -0500
On 2017-12-05 14:24 PM, jimlux wrote:

On 12/5/17 7:47 AM, Alan NV8A wrote:

I know that this discussion started with a question about wire for an antenna to be used in Belize, but people are reporting what they have used in the US. Does anyone actually take note of the NEC (that other NEC) requirements that even for an antenna shorter than 150ft., 14AWG *hard-drawn* copper is required -- and 10AWG *hard-drawn* copper for antennas longer than 150ft.?

I've always wondered about that.   Amateur antenna installations rarely comply with the code from that standpoint.  I figure it's because it's a "temporary installation" and if your AWG20 magnet wire breaks, it's your own problem

If it breaks, it's temporary :-)

-Steve K8LX