Re: [TowerTalk] Broadcast Interference on 20m?

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Broadcast Interference on 20m?
From: "Don W7WLL" <w7wll@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 11:33:37 -0800
Probably Radio Marti, located in Greenville NC and running 250 kW!!!!! They run 10-20 over 9 out here on the OR coast.

Don W7WLL

-----Original Message----- From: Richard Thorne
Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2017 11:01 AM
To: Towertalk
Subject: [TowerTalk] Broadcast Interference on 20m?

Lately, during the day, I'm getting full band interference on 20m. It
almost sounds like line noise.

I'm in the middle of a remodel of my shop/shack and my 4O3A high power
band pass filters have been off line.  As an experiment, I put the 20m
band pass filer back on line.

It made a dramatic difference.  The noise floor on my Flex 6700 went
from -105dbm to -130dbm and the band was dead quiet other than the cw
signals.

The noise sounds like static.  I had a line noise issue resolved last
year, but this doesn't sound anything like it.  Sometimes the noise
sounds like it has some modulation, almost like a broadcast station.

If I widen up the pan adapter on my Flex there is a strong AM station on
13.820, the noise seems to move up and down with the strength of the
signal on 13.820.  They are speaking in spanish.

Keeping the band pass filer on line is the obvious answer.  I wonder if
I need to determine who the station is on 13.820 and lodge a complaint
with the FCC.

Rich - N5ZC

---