Re: [TowerTalk] BigIR question

To: garyk9gs <garyk9gs@wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] BigIR question
From: "Joe Giacobello, K2XX via TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 14:45:27 -0500
I have used my Crankir for about four years when on month long vacations in Florida. I don't use the single adjustable length radial that Steppir provides. I use four insulated ~20 ga. radials cut for each band of interest. They are either run along a dock just a few feet above salt water or they're on a sandy beach which is under salt water at high tide. Operation has been mostly on 30 and 40M. Performance has been remarkably good. Salt water seems to cure all problems except thirst and corrosion.

73, Joe
K2XX

garyk9gs <mailto:garyk9gs@wi.rr.com>
Wednesday, December 6, 2017 5:51 PM
I just bought a CrankIR too. Plans are to install over salt water, including the radial/ counterpoise. The whole thing around 100 ft from the beach.

73-Gary K9GS
-------- Original message --------From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net> Date: 12/6/17 11:32 AM (GMT-06:00) To: Keith Dutson <kdutson@sbcglobal.net>, towertalk@contesting.com Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] BigIR question
It's well proven on many DXpeditions, particularly close to salt water.
Be aware the single radial can have some very high end voltages at QRO.
Also, salt spray on the end insulator can cause arc overs and melt it.

Grant KZ1W

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 12:32 PM