Re: [TowerTalk] common mode chokes, baluns and multiband, doublets

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] common mode chokes, baluns and multiband, doublets
From: "David Robbins" <k1ttt@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 20:32:42 -0000
"The inductance of a coil of coax is in series with the rest of the
transmission line, and if that line looks capacitive (by virtue of its length),
the coil of coax DOES NOT WORK to provide isolation. Indeed, it increases
common mode current on the line rather than reducing it."

This statement I would debate.... mainly the 'by virtue of its length'
statement... that starts mixing the lumped component (coil) with a transmission
line model.  In order to properly analyze it you must include the rest of the
environment, the distributed capacitance to the surroundings from the shield,
the distributed inductance of the shield, losses or pickup from it coupling to
stuff around it, and locations of connections to the shield from connections to
antenna booms, towers, lightning grounding, etc.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://wiki.k1ttt.net
AR-Cluster node: 145.69MHz or telnet://k1ttt.net:7373