Re: [TowerTalk] Help with Shutfeed model

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Help with Shutfeed model
From: "Steve, W3AHL" <w3ahl@att.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2018 14:42:39 -0500
Kelly,

I suggest you buy or borrow a copy of ON4UN’s Low-Band DXing, 5th edition book from ARRL and look at Chapter 9, section 6.9, starting on page 9-62. At the end of that section they discuss modeling and recommend not to model the top load capacitance. There is also a section on insulated elements, arcing and how the driven element may act as if it isn’t insulated on 160M due to coupling of the feed line to the tower. Which doesn’t quite make sense for the side fed by the center conductor, so modeling it has more uncertainty.

What they suggest instead is to attach a drop wire to the top of the tower down to the ground level and use a dip meter to determine the resonant frequency of the tower+top loading. Then calculate the effective electrical length, then design the matching wire spacing and tap height. Add a matching network as needed at the feed point. There are tables and graphs that help with that.

Based on that same book, in section 8, the effective diameter (reference in Chapter 9) for Rohn 45 is about 10.8 inches or 27.4 cm.

There’s other good info and tables that should make the design simple once you know the electrical length by grid dipping the tower system.

Another useful article referenced in ON4UN’s book is in the May 1989 Ham Radio magazine, page 32, The Fold Wire Fed Top-Loaded Grounded Vertical Schulz, Jr, Walter J., K3OQF, downloadable from: http://cahabatechnology.com/aa4pg/hrmag/hamradiomag/Ham%20Radio%20Magazine%201989%20%20Issues%201-12/05%20May%201989.pdf (mail me if link is scrambled by TowerTalk or just Google : Ham radio may 1989 ).

If I get some spare time this week I may try to model your tower with the XM-240. How much mast is between the tower top and the antenna?

Steve, W3AHL