[TowerTalk] Balun for HyGain TH7DX and Weep Holes

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Balun for HyGain TH7DX and Weep Holes
From: "Don W7WLL" <w7wll@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2018 10:31:35 -0800
I purchased and mounted a Balun Designs 1115s on a TH7DX to replace that 'wonderful' BN-86 (second one). I made a SS sorta U bolt to hold it on the boom. Makes a secure mount. My recollection is pics can't be placed in text on this site but I've pics showing the mounting and the U bolt. If interested, contact me.

By the way, this is what Balun Designs noted in an email to me:

". . . Weep holes, however, are another question. Typically they are highly recommended to allow an exit path for condensate that will inevitably build up in any balun. Unless the unit is hermetically sealed, the change in atmospheric pressure and humidity cause the problem. We recommend 2 holes no larger than 1/16 but I imagine there are still insects that can fit through that size so it would be your call..."

Because of how the BD box sits when mounted on the TH7 it was easy to determine where to put weep holes in the corner for easy drain.

Don W7WLL

---