Re: [TowerTalk] Pulling coax through PVC pipe

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pulling coax through PVC pipe
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2018 11:10:17 -0700

One possibility:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IDEAL-32-oz-Clear-Wire-Pulling-Lubricant/1017915

Dave   AB7E

On 1/27/2018 9:16 AM, Dave Sublette wrote:
Good morning,

28 years ago I buried a 1.5 inch schedule 40 PVC pipe in the ground and ran
some low loss coax and a three wire electrical control cable (14-2 house wiring
cable).  The 14-2 is used to operate a remotely control phasing box for my 80
meter four square.  The coax feeds either my 160 vertical or the 80M array.

Well it’s time to replace the coax.  The PVC pipe is 250 feet long and in a straight
line(thankfully).  I suspect I will have to pull both cables with the new cables tied to the end.
I’ve never done this before and could use a little advice.  I googled but most of what I found
started with empty pipe and ran a “string mouse” through with a shopvac. When I installed the
cables initially, I laid them out on the ground and slipped the pipe over them ten feet at a time.
Fortunately, there is a fair amount of room left in the pipe.  The two cables did not fill up the space
entirely.

My first question is if there is some sort of lubricant I should use to reduce
friction?

That’s also my last question, but I know there must be several things to consider I am
betting that this group has the answers. I have a come-along, a tractor, and a fair amount of
tools.  I’m just not sure how to proceed.

I am eager to see what you all have to say.

Thanks.

Dave, K4TO