[TowerTalk] 160 vertical question (Top Hat)

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] 160 vertical question (Top Hat)
From: Bill via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2018 20:20:00 -0500
Planning on putting up a 160 vertical, but of course a 1/4 wave vertical is out
of the question here in HI since we have a height limitation.

Here's the question:  I'm putting up around 50 feet of 3 inch aluminum tubing
(left over from various antenna takedowns).  I plan on putting up on top of
that around another 10 or 15 feet of smaller diameter stinger for a total
height of around 60-65 feet.  I obviously need to make up for the lack of
height and I was planning on making a top hat of four wires coming down from
the top of the antenna at around a 45 degree angle.  The problem is how long to
make each of those wires.  My guess is around 25 feet based on my past
experience in making Tee-topped 80 meter verticals.  However, it is only a
guess and I don't feel like yanking the 3 inch pipe up and down a bunch of
times to get it just right.

I know some trimming will be necessary since this is not an exact science.  I
just need an educated guess for where to start with the length.  Any ideas?

Bill K4XS/KH7XS