Re: [TowerTalk] 160 vertical question (Top Hat)

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160 vertical question (Top Hat)
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2018 13:11:55 -0800
On 2/4/2018 12:57 PM, Jim Thomson wrote:
Then the 4000 pf cap was simply strapped in series with the base of the ele,
and the cap was tweaked to   1:1  swr.    Swr was essentially flat  from
1800-2000  by tweaking the motor driven cap from the shack.

That's easy and convenient, but I've simply tweaked the capacitor value by adding suitable caps in parallel until the match is centered where I want it. The resulting match (with two parallel wires in the vertical section) is sufficiently broad that my 87A is happy from 1800 to 1900 kHz, and is optimum around 1835.

73, Jim K9YC