Re: [TowerTalk] Is "The Truth about Trees and Antenna Gain" the whole tr

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Is "The Truth about Trees and Antenna Gain" the whole truth?
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 17:17:06 -0800
On 2/7/18 2:34 PM, Tom Osborne wrote:
I think the problem with this article, along with many other antenna
articles.is they have nobody to proof read and see if this is actually
factual or not.  I have seen many articles in QST that I read and shake my
head wondering where they got their info from.  73

I didn't see any technical errors. As noted by others they compared an analytical solution with the finite element and got similar results; that's an important validation that is missing in many articles. The article is complete - it provides everything you need to duplicate their analysis (although I wish there was a way to download their NEC model, but I've already typed it in). They cited good references (at least, they're the same ones I would cite)

I wouldn't find this article amiss in IEEE Antennas and Prop Magazine. Maybe even Transactions on Ant and Prop, although for that there would be stylistic differences.

Tom W7WHY