[TowerTalk] 5 Band Yagi with more than 2 elements per band

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 5 Band Yagi with more than 2 elements per band
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2018 19:16:52 -0700
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2018 14:59:30 -0400
From: rlvz@aol.com
To: towertalk@contesting.com

<But don't the JK antennas use muffler type clamps for attaching the elements
to the boom where the elements must be lined up by sight?? I hate fooling
around aligning elements by sight only to have them change when you tighten the
clamp.??Pre-<drilled element brackets are much nicer and my idea of a well
designed antenna.

<73,
<Dick- K9OM

##  Nope,  JK uses massive machined aluminum   2 piece wide clamps, with loads
of surface area.  Muffler style clamps are history these days, good riddance...
they have virtually  zero surface area.
But I know what you mean by the oem F12   boom to ele brackets,  saves a bunch
of time.   Flip side is... IF the yagi is needed to be re-tweaked, and ele
spacing adjusted,   it’s a gong show with the F12  style brackets..esp aligning
them.
There is zero room for error.  They must be drilled  precisely.

##  For a real horror  show, the hy gain cast,  clamshell style..  boom to ele
clamps, I found, were a bitch to align properly.    One could spend a long time
aligning  a TH-11.   IMO, the worst  designed boom to ele clamps  bar none.

##  On a side note,  I sent a note off just now to  Ken  at  JK ants..to
clarify what the status is on his improved version of the 5BA.... which does
have plenty of room to  side mount to a tower....and use  no metric al tubing.
Metric tubing as used on the optibeam yagis, is not easy to source, near
unobtainium.

Jim  VE7RF