Re: [TowerTalk] Alpa SPID RAK motor noise - Resolved

To: Towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Alpa SPID RAK motor noise - Resolved
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 21:36:57 -0400
Folks,

Many replied off & online to help me out,
some went above and beyond in offering
their time and experience and thank you
for that, helping others is much of the
joy in our common bond.

To recap the issue: The RFI I have been
having is on 6M when the SPID rotated my
6M7JHV on the tripod on my ranch house.
The tripod is DC grounded by #4 solid
copper wire to the a grounding rod which
is bonded to the breaker panel and antenna
input/station ground. The noise was only
experienced when rotating, it was
determined NOT to be PWM in origin and a
360 rotation seen on my P3 SVGA display
looked like this and sounded as bad as you
would suspect.

http://doctorgary.net/spid.jpg

I have the problem now resolved to maybe
95% and I wanted to share this resolution
with you. Jeff at Green Heron has been
most helpful in being willing to work with
me as I bought the SPID RAK, GH controller
combo from him. Among the suggestions he
gave me was ferrite clamp on chokes on the
rotor control line and running a copper
braid between the mast ground and the
tripod.

I had an abundance of clamp-on ferrites
bought at the suggestion of Jim, K9YC a
few years back and placed around 10 on the
rotor cable starting at the SPID. I added
4-5 more to the coax attached to the boom,
just before the coax loop. The loop is
held in place by a clamp-on dacron roped
to the boom clamp. - I also took the braid
from 7' of 50 ohm coax, doubled it by
folding it in half, using Penatrox at each
connection, radiator clamped the fold/bend
to the mast, ran the two braids to the
grounding wire of the SPID. I screwed the
ground screw through the penatroxed braids
and then attached the two loose ends, now
penatroxed, to the tripod.

I don't know which of the three things
made the difference, I already had a few
clamp-ons added to the coax at the antenna
between the hardline and the loop but I
did add 2-3 more. But I did add those to
the rotor line and I did run that double
braid between the mast, the SPID ground
wire and the tripod. This is the result:

http://doctorgary.net/spid-rfi-fixed.jpg

This photo was taken after the exact same
360 degree rotation & same frequency I
showed in the earlier photo showing the
tremendous RFI.

So to those who have this issue, you might
want to do as Jeff suggested and what I
followed through with, obviously, it is a
solution that works beautifully.

Hope this helps someone.

73,

Gary