Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Analyzers

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>, "jim@audiosystemsgroup.com" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Analyzers
From: Máximo EA1DDO_HK1H <ea1ddo@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2018 10:06:13 +0000
Well, let's say that in most times one port VIA would be enough, to tune an
antenna basically, and some other minor jobs.
But some times you need to phase a stack of Yagis, or even a four-square
verticals for low bands, and two ports VNA allows you to fine tune the phasing
lines more accurately than one port VIA. To measure iteration/isolation between
antennas, or relay boxes, etc.
You can even run some real gain and front to back measurements, using one port
to a reference antenna and second port to the antenna under test.

Finally, if you can afford to have different devices for different uses, that's
perfect, a light handheld VIA for antenna tuning and tower works, and a second
two ports VNA for bench works, for example.
But if for any reason (field day, expeditions, someone's else house, limited
budget...), you need, or you prefer, just one device for all situations,
something like a "Swiss Knife", a VNA like this KC901S is best choice, as far
as I can see.

73, Maximo