Re: [TowerTalk] More on Half Wave (and HFTA)

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] More on Half Wave (and HFTA)
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2019 23:46:03 -0800
On 1/19/19 11:08 PM, David Gilbert wrote:
"Certainly the topography of adjacent radials affects the true performance on one radial that won't show up in the HFTA model. No?"

I'm pretty certain that N6BV himself has pointed that out as a limitation of HFTA.  It's a complicated world.

HFTA assumes that (for each direction) the profile is infinite in extent in the "cross range" direction.
It's a 2D ray tracer with N slices in aziumth.

It's sort of like how most folks do ionospheric models (e.g. VOACAP) and assume there's no cross range propagation, although there actually is.

One can do a full 3d model, but it's computationally expensive ( a lot more than just running radial at finer steps), and it's unclear if it would be useful for antenna planning.

73,
Dave   AB7E