Re: [TowerTalk] Help with a Yaesu Rotator

To: n4ra@aol.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Help with a Yaesu Rotator
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2019 16:27:32 -0800
I'm not sure that you have definitively isolated the problem to the rotator. The controller motor drive circuit has current regulators in it so they may be confusing the measurements. I think connecting a DC supply to the motor leads w/o the controller and then see if the rotator rotates both directions and the internal diodes and limit switches work properly will be definitive.

The Yaesu controller is a zoo both mechanically and electrically (I'll never fix another one) and many are replaced with Green Herons. I thought I had a redrawn schematic by a ham that delved into the controller, but couldn't find it. Perhaps another TTalker has a copy. The factory one in the manual is not at all logical and is very difficult to understand.

Grant KZ1W