Re: [TowerTalk] Long Wire Sag

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Long Wire Sag
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2019 19:29:21 -0400
Alumoweld is available in very large sizes, much larger than I have seen
copperweld, so it could last for quite a while. You would have to figure out
a good way to connect to it, as you know stainless steel hardware will not
get along with aluminum and I am not sure how you would adjust it between
80m modes.

Honestly even 14 awg THHN holds up so well and I have not seen a stretch
issues but my dipoles have always been temporary. If stretch is a concern I
would prestretch heavier THHN as K9YC described many times on this list. I
believe that the PCV will protect most of the wire from the elements.

73,
John KK9A - PJ4R in 2019 WPX Phone

Richard Smith N6KT

John and others,
What has your experience (if any) been with Alumoweld (or other aluminum
clad steel) wire, especially in a corrosive environment? We have plans to
try one or more antennas for 80 meters at PJ4K using Alumoweld wire.
Do we have to be as cautious about nicking Alumoweld wire?  Since it cannot
be soldered, what kinds of hardware and parts should be used for the
connections?  I'm guessing that bending Alumoweld is not a good idea.
73, Rich, N6KT
    On Sunday, March 10, 2019, 03:40:13 PM PDT, john at kk9a.com <john at