[TowerTalk] Guying a free standing tower..some comments and questions to

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guying a free standing tower..some comments and questions to the discussion
From: lstoskopf@cox.net
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2019 16:54:18 -0400 (EDT)
This is really critical to me.  For 20 plus years I've had one of the AB-577
and now the AB-621 towers that Ontario Surplus used to sell at Hamvention.  I
think they are not available anymore.  I installed them by myself, probably not
a good idea for safety reasons.  Since the 4 el SteppIR came out I've have the
AB-621 up on a very windy hill with three guys at 35 feet which for the slopes
involved works out with HFTA to be about optimum for the 20, 15, and 10.  The
system has taken a beating and I've added pop rivets, etc. and it is getting
more difficult to crank it up or down...at least by a 79 yr old.

In gusty winds the bottom just rocks around on the ground and there is little
'kink' tension on the base carrier or tower.  It just moves around.  I've had
multiple elements blown off of the SteppIR in these Kansas winds, probably from
the wind up the hill.

I've had a Heights Tower sitting in the shed for 15 years waiting an excuse to
put it up there.  Tapered all the way up:

AJ26-225, AJ22-225, AJ18-172, AJ14-172, and TS11-131.  With a base that will
allow external fold over at the bottom.

I delayed as the ground up there is nearly solid sandstone.  Digging the hole
for the base plus getting a cement truck up there is going to be less than fun.

Plus, I really think there will be more stress at the base of that tower
anchor'd to the concrete than with what I have now.

But I soon will need something just a bit more stable and (at age 79) more
permanent.  Don't want to have to do the annual repairs.

Another factor is that with self support I can move a bit closer to the edge of
the slope and get an advantage according to HFTA while now I have to stay back
about 5 ft to have room for the guys which are anchor's part way down the hill.

Comments or flames?

N0UU