Re: [TowerTalk] KF4BWG

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] KF4BWG
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2019 18:48:52 -0700
On 4/18/19 5:46 PM, David Gilbert wrote:

I was more concerned about the proximity effect in the horse fence scenario ... 1.5 inches wide with eighteen 7 mil wires.  I suspect that is still "close-ish", which would make my calculations somewhat off ... although I suspect there might be an influence on "close-ish" that was a function of the magnetic permeability.

It's a complicated world ...   ;)

Dave   AB7E

the high permeability makes the skin depth small, which increases the AC resistance - not great when it's SS, which already has high bulk resistivity.

1.5/18 means the wires are about 83 mils apart.

OTOH, lots of folks are perfectly happy with the terminated folded dipole made of stainless steel which has about 6dB of loss, and therefore provides a decent match over a wide, wide band with no tuner.

For a lot of applications, either there's a propagation path or there isn't and optimizing the beginning and end of the band opening isn't relevant.