Re: [TowerTalk] Can you TRAM this ?

To: "TOWERTALK@contesting. com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Can you TRAM this ?
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2019 10:52:22 -0700
My 40m went up in a similar way.

The pro antenna crew (Paul's crew @ Custom Metal Works) trammed 350# 48 ft boom 3L 40m to 140' on a Rohn 65, back guyed with EHS the 3" alloy mast at 155ft as the tram line tower end. Ground end was to a Kubota B3200 tractor (3k#?) to tension the 7x19 tram cable, I don't remember size. Double pulley on the tram to spread the load, capstan at tower base with 5/8 line. Antenna start point about 130ft from tower base. Max back position of Kubota about 230ft. Several come-a-longs and two men to jockey the antenna into the ring rotator mount. This was the last of 7 beams trammed onto this tower this way (tram line was lower for others). A movable tram anchor was very helpful.

So it is doable. However, the 80m 2L 350# above it at 157ft went there with a crane. Steps bolted on the mast. MUCH easier & safer. Worth every shilling if you can make it work.

I see you are doing the arithmetic, don't forget the further back the tram position, the higher the lateral tower load and the more the catenary sag. With the capstan I'd guess pull is not a limit.

I'd had more than 15' of top guy clearance. I think less clearance is the biggest problem for you unless the tram cable can go higher on a mast.

Grant KZ1W