Re: [TowerTalk] Can you TRAM this ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Can you TRAM this ?
From: "Ed Sawyer" <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2019 06:43:40 -0400
I have trammed many antennas up - the heaviest being 200lbs.  A few comments
from me:

-          The tram anchor is much too far away.  There will be too much
dead load on the tram wire.  A more typical angle would have the tram anchor
point at about 150 - 175ft out for a 130 ft connection to the tower.
Putting the angle at about 45 - 40 degrees and greatly reducing the dead
load component.

-          I have used trees of sufficient girth and height as anchor points
quite successfully as well as another towers guy anchor and vehicles (tied
to the tow hitch of a pickup).

-          If you can tram to the tower itself (assumption based on your
data), I don't see the need for a backstay guy line.

-          I agree with KK9A, that if this is the first antenna up the
tower, and it's a monobander, consider snaking it up vertically.  The "get
out of trouble" becomes the temporary guy replacement in the trouble spot
which is probably no harder than setting up the tram line.

Good luck with the project.

Ed N1UR