Re: [TowerTalk] A Couple of Rotor/Coax Cable Questions

To: <john@kk9a.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] A Couple of Rotor/Coax Cable Questions
From: "Mike & Becca Krzystyniak" <k9mk@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2019 13:30:43 -0500
Hi John,

    Thanks for your inputs.

    I'm not familiar with materials identification so all I have to go on is
that color.
    To your question I made the mistake of buying 200' RG8X for use on an
80m Vee circa 1995-ish.
    First winter it worked well, second winter the BW increased 100 KHz,
third winter it covered 3.5-3.8.
    Then for whatever reason it snapped at the balun.
    Upon analysis I found that the sun dry rotted the coax jacket, allowing
contamination into the inside, eventually rotting the far end dust.

    This control cable reminded me of that run of RG8X fiasco.
    Just checking to see if this was something I should simply stay away
from but now but it seems that's not the case.

Thank you...

Mike  K9MK/5