[TowerTalk] COIL 3.66

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] COIL 3.66
From: Brian Beezley <k6sti@att.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2019 02:39:20 -0700
I've just posted version 3.66 of my coil calculator:

http://ham-radio.com/k6sti/coil.zip

Some recent changes:

Accuracy
I recalibrated my HP 4342A Q Meter and remeasured a number of the trickier coils in my collection. I recalibrated COIL to account for some small changes. Average error magnitude is 2.5% for L and 6.5% for Q. See COILS.TXT for coil dimensions, measurements, and error statistics. Both L and Q calibration are user-adjustable.

Metals
I've added several flavors of copper and some high-conductivity alloys of aluminum. Aluminum is particularly useful for lightweight Yagi loading coils. I've included information and references on the effect of tin plating.

Litz wire
COIL now models Litz wire with 0.02 mm strands, available from Electrisola. You can use this wire to make 40-meter coils with very high Q. Values up to three times those possible with copper tubing and greater than 2000 are feasible. Litz wire with #48 AWG strands, available on eBay, is suitable for 80-meter coils with similar Q.

Optimizer
The optimizer varies selected coil parameters to maximize Q while keeping inductance constant. Due to code refinement and use of assembly language, it now runs virtually instantaneously even on older computers. (Although I haven't tried it, COIL should run on a 486. I've run it on Windows XP and Windows 10.)

I don't monitor Towertalk. To reach me, click on my callsign on the COIL screen.

Brian