Re: [TowerTalk] Hardline

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hardline
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2019 11:26:56 -0800
On 12/18/19 9:45 AM, trentkd5ia--- via TowerTalk wrote:
The local club is replacing the hardline to one of the repeaters. It is 1 5/8", air dielectric (we think) and
a little over 500' long.  I have a use for it! HI  I'm just wondering how (un)flexible it is--how small
can it be coiled--and how heavy is it?  Anybody have any experience with it?  A tower service company is
doing the work and all I have to do is haul it off to the (my) junkpile!   I'm hoping this is my lucky
day!

We have a bunch (thousands of feet) of similar coax at the JPL club station (W6VIO). You can coil it up in 5-6 foot diameter coils without too much trouble. 500 feet is going to be around 500 lbs (it's roughly 1 lb/ft).

So, hauling in the back of a pickup is totally reasonable, but you'll need something to put it in there and take it out. I suppose 4-5 people could carry a 500 foot coil, but it's really unwieldy.

Coiling it would be a lot of work. Hopefully, the service company will coil it for you and not just leave it in some random heap.

(if it's full of water, it's a lot heavier <grin>)