Re: [TowerTalk] LMR 600 UF options ?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LMR 600 UF options ?
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2019 04:29:16 +0000
Some time ago I asked DavisRF to make some Buryflex with 600 specs, but no go. I have two crank ups, so Burylex for me is ok for HF, but even LMR-600 has too much loss 2m & 70cm (besides the cover problem)

The CW is hardline will fatigue fail, but I think that chance is greatly reduced when a number of cables are taped together as they currently are on my HDX-589s. Now 2 or 3 Buryflex, rotator, SteppIR controls, plus a spare control taped every 2ft. I use the loop slide thru cable standoffs from KF7P. Changing out one Buryflex to LDF4-50A would be the plan (someday, I have a lot).

My tower raise and lower frequency is pretty limited to maintenance, lubrication, and expected storms, 6 +/- round trips per year. With big loop figure eight flaking of the bundle when lowering, the bend radius is way larger than the multiple bend spec for LDF4. I can do that looping by myself when lowering the tower, simple guiding when raising.

Obviously, a Buryflex jumper is needed at the rotator and maybe at the base. Another approach with several helpers would be to pivot the bundle out from the base and keep it straight. If somebody wanted to try 7/8 hardline, I think that might work as the bend radius would be about the height of the lowest cable guide, 23 ft.

There are larger RG cables, eg RG19/RG220/RG218, I think all are solid conductor, heavy and very expensive. At least hardline is relatively light weight and LDF4 and copies are very available and lower loss.

Grant KZ1W